Thursday, July 21, 2011

Part 3: Osaka

Day 2 - Osaka:

Finally, we headed to Osaka for the night and checked in to the ryokan (a Japanese-style hotel). It was right on the Dōtonbori canal, and pretty cute, next to all the Osaka night life. We walked around Dōtonbori, one of the main tourist spots in Osaka. It's a huge street running along the canal, lined with neon lights and a ton of restaurants.

Our half-western ryokan

Dōtonbori!



Tyler went out and ate okonomiyaki, a Japanese savoury pancake containing a variety of ingredients, and I found a Mexican food restaurant (I miss Tex-Mex SO MUCH). After that, the girls and I decided to go to Spa World, the most amazing onsen resort ever! There were so many different themed baths, from Ancient Rome, the Mediterranean, or Finland, to tea baths! Best birthday ever. I wish I could have taken pictures, but there were too many naked people.

Day 3 - Osaka:

We woke up early to a rainy day, but decided to head out to Osaka Castle anyways. I think it was one of my favorites so far! There was so much intricate gold on it.

Headed to the castle in the rain.


Then we headed to the Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan. It's one of the largest public aquariums in the world! It was super crowded, though. You were lucky if you reached the glass of some of the more popular exhibits.


Check out the guy behind Tyler. LOL.

My favorite part! These fish were a part of the
"Cawaii Collection." The cartoons were so cute!


On the way back, we decided to stop by the Pokémon Center. The one in Osaka is the largest one in Japan, so I had high hopes. It didn't end up being any different than the one in Tokyo, aside from its size, so I was a bit disappointed. It was still amazing, and super crowded with children. 


We went back to our hotel to pick up our bags, and Tyler and I had okonomiyaki (Tyler loves it!) before heading to the Shinkansen station to head our separate ways (Tyler to Tokyo and Kelly back to Kyoto).

No comments:

Post a Comment