Sunday, July 24, 2011

Part 4: Nagoya

Day 4 - Nagoya

After buying kimonos and leaving Kyoto, I headed to Nagoya and met up with a friend to go to thJuly Grand Sumo tournaments. We bought our tickets, but the main ceremony didn't start until 3:30ish, so we decided to explore around a bit. We tried getting Noh tickets for later that night at a theater down the street, but unfortunately, there weren't any for a while, so we headed to Nagoya Castle instead, which was just across from the sumo gym. 

Ratty looking and wet from the typhoon.

After quickly going in and around the castle, we headed back to the gym. It was actually really entertaining to watch! The wrestlers have up to four minutes to mentally prepare themselves, so they'd go to the line, stare at each other for a while, and one might have been ready, but if the other wasn't, they got up and went back to the corner for a second. Apparently they didn't used to have time restraints, so they would sometimes take forever to actually wrestle. Hilarious! It was overall very entertaining, and it was really neat watching the ceremony.




Ring ceremony!

As I was leaving, the rain really started picking up, so I took a taxi back to the station. I had zero cash on me though, and for the first time in a taxi ever, my cards magically didn't work, so I had to pour all my change out for him. He was livid. I had maybe half of the fare. I was so ashamed, but there were literally NO ATMs the whole time I was in Nagoya. Where were you 7-Eleven? It was so embarrassing, but he eventually had no choice but to let me out. I felt awful. Then, the typhoon really picked up in the station. The winds were so strong that I fell while walking on the platform. I couldn't even walk forward and was drenched in sideways rain within five seconds. Awful. Luckily my train came quickly. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment